About Our Wheel Throwing Pottery Classes
- COURSE DESCRIPTION: The course includes 15 hours of instruction on the potter’s wheel (2.5 hours per week for 6 weeks). No experience is necessary; beginners are welcome!
- FIRST CLASS: Students wedge two pieces of clay, and step by step, we throw two mugs.
- SECOND CLASS: We continue throwing, and make three bowls.
- THIRD CLASS: Now that we have five pieces that have been kept moist in plastic, we trim the bottoms.
- FOURTH CLASS: Then it's back to throwing, and we make three larger pots.
- FIFTH CLASS: The work from week four is trimmed; handles are made for mugs and pitchers; clay can be added to the exterior of work or textures can be carved into the surface of work.
- SIXTH CLASS: Each student will have seven or eight pieces that they will glaze. About a week after glazing, students from all classes will return for a pick-up celebration.
- WHERE: All classes are held at the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts, 28 Renne Avenue, (just off Fenn Street between First and North Streets), Pittsfield, MA 01201
- •Classes usually contain students of varying abilities. I work with novices on a step-by-step approach, and give assistance-as-needed to other students with various levels of experience.